Wednesday 13 July 2016

Red-headed parrot finch and orange-breasted honeyeater at Laucala Campus, USP. I've also spotted the finches in a pair on the neem tree outside my window in Nabua-Three Mile. They are fairly common, though not as common as the Mynah Bird, which some consider a pest.A (I'll try and capture the Red-vented Bulbul, which are usually swooping between our neighbour's mango tree and the Ixora bushes on the other (eastern) side of my flat. To discover the name of the Bulbul, I googled 'crested bird red bum' and the 'Red-vented' Bulbul appeared. The next time I have to refer to a bum, I'll call it a vent. Nice euphemism.)


Bright and bold in plumage and attitude, the red-headed parrot finch.  I'm sure he has a song that is as incredible as his plumage.

The orange-breasted honeyeater is annoyed by its rival who is inevitably present for a fight, peering back at him from the glossy steel of the fire-extinguisher.  I heard the tapping and peeped out of the office to see him challenging his reflection to a duel of curved beaks.  You are a honey eater, not a fighter, little bird, get back to your day job!

No comments:

Post a Comment